Tuesday 28 April 2009

Also signed up for: Mysore workshop

For a long time now, I've wanted to learn to do Mysore-style Ashtanga classes. That's the one where you do it at your own pace, and the instructor "gives" you additional parts to the sequence as s/he feels you're ready. It rewards consistency and removes some of the unspoken competition that can occur in "called" yoga classes, while still providing for instructor correction so you progress and don't hurt yourself. I'd love to be better at my home yoga practice, but I'm just not that regular about it and I don't think I progress because I spend too much time trying to figure out the instructions (whether on video or just called out) and not enough time getting into the flow.

But, Mysore is kind of intimidating-sounding for the first time. I mean, when do I come into class. What will happen when I get there? How do I know how far to go? Will someone help me if I can't remember the Sanskrit names for the poses?

So I've signed up for a Mysore workshop, which I'm very excited about. I'm really looking forward to figuring this out, because nearly all the morning yoga around me is Mysore style, and morning exercise is much better for me.

No comments: